COMPANION

Schools

The Little School

The Alexander Foundation School was a small private boarding school, running from c. 1947 to the late 1950s or early 1960s in Pennsylvania. History Esther Duke, a pupil of A. R. Alexander, was affiliated with a Quaker school, the Media Friends School, in Pennsylvania. Some time around 1943 she arranged for Irene Stewart and Margaret Goldie to teach at the school. When F. M. Alexander returned to London in 1943, A. R. Alexander and some of the trainees on the Alexander brother’s teacher training course, moved to Swarthmore and Media. When A. R. Alexander suffered a stroke around...
The Little School was the first school for children based on the principles of the Alexander Technique. It was started in London (at Ashley Place) in 1924 by Irene Tasker who ran it until 1934. It was called the ‘little school’ and this epithet has been used ever since, even after it acquired an official name, ‘The F. Matthias Alexander Trust Fund School’, at the time it moved to Penhill House in April 1934. Penhill House was Alexander’s 23-acre residence  in Bexleyheath, Kent, which could provide for boarders. The official name came about because The F....