Walter Carrington (1915-2005) founded the Constructive Teaching Centre (CTC) in 1960, and the school continued as part of the Walter Carrington Educational Trust in 2010.
After F. M. Alexander’s death in 1955, Walter Carrington continued Alexander’s training course at various locations with a group of teachers that included Margaret Goldie, Peggy Williams and Irene Stewart. In 1960, Walter and Dilys Carrington moved into No. 18 Lansdowne Road, Holland Park, London, and the school was renamed the Constructive Teaching Centre. (The change in the name was due in part to the court case Beaumont Alexander vs. Margaret Goldie.)
The school was small in the early 1960s, but started growing in the 1970s. Around 1979 the training course was split into two groups, a morning group (9:30 am – 12:30 pm) for students up to their fourth term, and an afternoon group (11:30 am – 3:30 pm) for fifth to ninth term students. At various times in the 1980s and 1990s the training course would have up to 45 students, and a waiting list of 3-5 years was not uncommon.
The school was situated at 18 Lansdowne Road until 2010. After the death of Dilys Carrington in 2009, the training course moved out of Lansdowne Road, and found new permanent premises in Imperial Wharf in 2012.
Ruth Murray and Alan Philps are the current training course directors.
A description of the structure of the training course in 1992 is in the short article ‘The training course at Lansdowne Road’.
The development of the training course is related in several places, notably the interview with Walter and Dilys Carrington in Taking Time.
A record of the ‘games’ at the training course 1989-92 is in Directed Activities.
The experiences of eight teachers and students from the Northern California Center for the Alexander Technique visiting CTC in 2009 were published in the AmSAT Journal in 2018.
Constructive Teaching Centre
The Walter Carrington Educational Trust
See also Walter Carrington.